Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Psychology of a Superhero: Bruce Banner

An Interview with Bruce Banner, a.k.a The Incredible Hulk

By Dr. Leonard Samson 

Today I'll be interviewing my longtime friend and patient Dr. Bruce Banner, who has graciously agreed to be the subject of today's post.

Doc Samson: So, Bruce, tell me a little bit about your childhood.

Bruce Banner: Well, it's kind of hard to talk about, even now. You see, my dad was an alcoholic and disliked me. My mother tried to protect me, but then he... my father, he... well, murdered her. And then he went to a mental hospital. He'd been exposed to nuclear energy and we think it ruined his mind.

Then, since I was the small kid at school, I was always bullied. My cousin, Jen Walters, she stuck up for me, though. She was my best friend. One day I built this dud bomb in the school basement. It frightened all the bullies, but got me expelled. But it also got me noticed by the military.

Doc Samson: What was one specific thing you struggled with while growing up?

Bruce Banner: I was a pretty lonely kid. I had all this pain and rage at my father and his treatment of me and my mom, but I never showed it. I was withdrawn.

Doc Samson: Besides the day you discovered you had superpowers, can you think of one specific, traumatic event in your past that made you who you are today?

Bruce Banner: The day my mom died changed my life. It may not have made me who I am, but it started me on that path.

Doc Samson: Explain what your powers mean to you. How would you feel if you didn't have them?

Bruce Banner: (laughs) relieved, would that be a good word? I never wanted these powers. Sure, I've saved the world a few times, but I'd rather have done it through science. Well, maybe these are the product of science. But still, they really have no good memories for me.

Doc Samson: Have you ever thought there might be a connection between your personality and your superpowers?

Bruce Banner: Yes, I have, actually.

Doc Samson: Can you tell me what that connection might be?

Bruce Banner: As I said, I've always been withdrawn. I bottled up my rage and anger. When I was exposed to the gamma radiation, all the feelings I'd been keeping back finally came out and, I think, influenced the shape that the radiation made me take. Which is also the reason I have split personalities. The Bruce Banner that everyone knew was the shy, quiet kid. But the Bruce Banner on the inside... well, he was more like the Hulk.

Doc Samson: True or false: My superpowers have shaped who I am, not the other way around.

Bruce Banner: In a way, true. If I'd never been the Hulk I wouldn't be quite the same. Though I wouldn't say that they've completely shaped who I am. As I said before, I think my personality influenced what super power I took on.

Doc Samson: What does this look like to you?



Bruce Banner: It... well, at first it kind of looked like the Hulkbuster armor. The arms and the head... but... well, now it looks more like an amoeba.

Doc Samson: If there's one thing you could do over again in your life, what would it be?

Bruce Banner: Not become the Hulk? (laughs) But seriously, I would study Gamma radiation more before I tested it. There was so much potential, so much good it could have done, if only we hadn't prematurely released it.

Doc Samson: Thanks for taking the time to participate in this interview, Bruce.

Bruce Banner: Thank you, Leonard. I enjoyed it.

Copyright Doctor Leonard Samson, 2012

--------Ask Doc Samson--------
Dear Doc Samson,

I have a friend who is really annoying. He's slow, and dumb, and doesn't know how to take a joke. He calls me all sorts of names, like "matchstick" and "flame brain." Sometimes I think he just doesn't understand me. Can you help?

2 Hot 2 Handle

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear 2 Hot 2 Handle,

Maybe you should just try getting to know him better. Instead of teasing him and playing pranks, actually talk to him. It could be that he just doesn't understand you. Trust me, the people who sometimes seem the slowest and the dumbest are the people who've really got your back.

Hope we can see these trust issues resolved! Feel free to drop by for an appointment if need be.

Doc Samson

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Doc Samson,

I know this little squirt who is really annoying. He's cheeky and rude, and never takes anything seriously. I try to get the better of him by calling him what he is - a real flame brain. But I just don't understand him. How can one person be so.... frustrating? Hope you can help.

The Rock Man Cometh

------------------------------------------------------
Dear Rock Man,

Maybe you should just try getting to know him better. Instead of calling him names and getting back at him, actually talk to him. it could be that he just doesn't understand you. Trust me, the people who sometimes seem the most annoying are actually the only ones worth fighting for.

Hope we can see these communication issues resolved! Feel free to drop by for an appointment if need be.

Doc Samson

-----------------------------------------------------


If you have a question for the Doctor, email hulkblogs4u(at)gmail(dot)com. Include the phrase "Ask Doc Samson" in the subject line. Hulk Blog reserves the right not to publish any questions it deems unsuitable or irrelevant.

29 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry about your mom, Bruce. Awesome interview, by the way, I loved the answers in the Ask Doc Samson column... I should write in about this flame brain that I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I don't know what that means.

      Delete
    2. What does it mean?

      Delete
  2. I won't name names, but I think a certain Olverine-Way should do one of these interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I would nominate a certain one-eyed goody-two shoes if I didn't think that reading his interview would be booooring.

      Delete
  3. Hal Jordan, Green LanternFebruary 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

    Lol, if you're talking about picking someone for the next interview, I choose Batman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be really dark, Hal.

      Delete
    2. Hal Jordan, Green LanternFebruary 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM

      I know, right? Cause he's the dark knight! Get it?

      Delete
  4. I admire the type of questions you've chosen, Leonard. They all reflect your curiosity with both biological and psychodynamic psychology. I especially like the question about the connection between superpowers and personality. That is a vast realm that has yet to be explored by modern scientists. Just a thought: perhaps next time you could add a question about dreams for us more cognitive psychologists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have bad times in our past, Bruce, but the key is not to let them get us down. So good work with that soldier, and with acknowledging where you've been so you don't go back there again! I know the U.S.A. is honored to have you, even if they don't always show it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you object to interviewing... supervillains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that thou canst spread thine evil plan for world domination all over the world wide web????

      Delete
    2. Hey, if the guy wants to do a little advertising, Thor, I wouldn't object. It's Banner's blog, though.

      Delete
    3. I'll think about it, Victor.

      Delete
  7. Ha ha! that inkblot thingy looks like the black knight/angel/dementor/something from a videogame I once played!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called a Rorschach blot. It different for every person.

      Delete
  8. Wow, the DC's are out in full force today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you Marvel Marvel or DC Marvel?

      Delete
    2. Marvel Marvel.

      Delete
    3. We all marvel at Marvel's marvelous Marvel

      Delete
    4. Are you Carol or Sharon?

      Delete
    5. Are you Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, Genis-Vell, Phyla-Vell, Khn'nr, or Noh-Varr?

      Delete
    6. You're Carol.

      Delete
    7. I see you're on a first-name basis with Sharon, Mar-Vell.

      Delete
  9. Please use Maskbook for chatting and not Hulk's HULK blog!

    ReplyDelete

Give Hulk comments, ask Hulk questions, or ask superhero friends questions. If Hulk no have comments, Hulk smash!